Haisla Nation Council on August 11 approved the Education and Training policy, which updates and modernizes the delivery of educational and training services to Haisla members.

The policy will continue to provide Haisla members with training and education opportunities and offer guidance to job seekers.

What schools can Haisla members attend?

Among the ways this policy seeks to better serve the membership, the Education department will continue provide Haisla members assistance to attend recognized, public post-secondary institutions.

Privately-run colleges are generally not considered by the department as providing the strongest education, however Haisla members can make a case to attend a particular private college to the education manager if they have reasons to attend. The department’s criteria is generally that the institution is accredited by the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, and that a similar program is not available at a public institution.

What support will continue to be available?

Funding assistance will continue to be provided to ensure Haisla members receive training and job supports.

By focusing on Haisla members exclusively for program and training funding, we’ll ensure that the resources available to help registered Haisla members will be available well into the future.

Spouses and dependents of Haisla members will continue other supports, such as academic advising, job placement assistance and training support services.

These changes apply to all new applications.

Other notable highlights of the policy

Students with an average grade point average of 3.0 in the previous year are allowed one failed course without a requirement to repay tuition. Students which fail more than one course, and/or have an average GPA of below 3.0, will be expected to repay the tuition costs.

Any Haisla member who successfully completes high school is eligible for the Graduation Completion Incentive.

Students in full-time studies may apply for transitional funding that would provide a slightly higher living allowance at the end of the academic year and/or the beginning of the next school year, to assist in the transition between school and summer employment. Any applications must demonstrate efforts to find employment and plan for the next academic year.